Special Education Resources
The following is a comprehensive list of the most current and authoritative special education resources for parents. This will help in your search to better educate and equip yourself in the area of child special education needs, IEPs, parent, school, and education advocates. These links will take you to a separate page. While we provide these special education resources for your benefit, they may or may not reflect the views and opinions of My Education Advocate.
- www.chadd.org This is a national, nonprofit organization with the goal of improving lives of people affected by ADD and ADHD.
- www.childrensdisabilities.info Articles and other resources for parents of children with disabilities and special needs.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) The CEC Website provides extensive information based on all topics related to special education information.
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA) an independent, nonprofit, national organization that seeks to protect legal/civil rights of students with disabilities.
- Friendshipcircle.org This site offers online special needs resources including a blog with over 1,000 articles on special needs parenting, products, education, therapy and more.
- International Dyslexia Association A website dedicated to providing information and resources about Dyslexia.
- Internet Special Education Resources (ISER) A directory of special needs services, information and products for children, teens, young adults and their parents.
- Maryland Association of Non-public Special Education Facilities (MANSEF) An organization representing more than 90 nonpublic schools throughout Maryland that serve students with a range of disabilities.
- National Center on Learning Disabilities An organization dedicated to improving lives of children/adults with learning and attention issues.
- Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) This is the Department of Education entity that administers IDEA.
- Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center (PEATC) = assists parents and professionals in translating the legal rights of children with disabilities in Virginia.
- www.pathfindersforautism.org = Maryland’s largest organization on autism, providing resources, training information free of charge.
- Special Education Advisor A great resource to learn about special education law, rights and information @ IEP’s.
- https://vafamilysped.org This Virginia-based web site provides a “one stop shop” for parents, families & care givers of children with special needs.