Education Advocate Services
I help you get the educational placement your child deserves. How?
By providing you a wide variety of educational advocacy services for school systems in northern Virginia, suburban Maryland, and Washington D.C. These services are primarily: Expert Record Review, Expert Report Writing, and Direct Representation.
Expert Record Review: Research Information About Your Child
- Meet with you to hear what your desired outcomes are for your child’s education.
- Listen to your opinions and feelings are (re) your child’s current school education.
- Review your child’s educational records.
- Review evidence of your child’s academic progress along with strengths and needs.
- Review current & past educational /psychological assessments, behavior assessments and intervention plans.
- Verify the existence of a disability, and determine if there is an educational impact from that disability.
- Review what interventions have been done in the past at school and with what level of effectiveness.
- Review current Individual Education Plan (IEP) for legal accuracy.
- Determine if the IEP document contains adequate supports & services for your child.
(30 minute initial consultation-free)
Expert Report Writing
- Write a draft of suggested program goals, accommodations and Related Services for an initial or continuing IEP (Individual Education Plan).
- Review them with you initially.
- Present to the education team at school meeting(s).
- Write Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP) and Functional Behavior Assessments (FBA) that reflect your child’s current strengths, areas of need and behavior patterns/predictors that he/she is exhibiting in school which could be impeding educational progress.
- I meet with you to review the personal record I completed on your child. This will summarize in writing, what I have learned in gathering information about your child.
- Observe your child in one or more class settings at the school.
- Conduct one-on one personal private interview with your child.
- Meet with professionals who work with your child, both in and out of school setting.
- Accompany you to school meetings where decisions are made about your child’s educational program.
- Act as a “liaison” between you and the school team. This will reduce any possible bitterness, bad feelings, and emotional stress you may be feeling with this often-intimidating event.
- Actively participate in school meetings, to ensure your concerns have been heard, your questions answered and your desired course of action is followed.
- Upon request, meet with your child’s teacher(s), counselor or Administrator. This will assist them in utilizing suggested teaching and/or behavioral management strategies to further address your child’s learning needs in school.
- Represent family as an expert witness in court.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have extensive experience serving children with special needs:
- 34 years as a career special educator K-12.
- 20 years as a High School special education program coordinator for students diagnosed with social, emotional and behavior disabilities.
- 7 years as a high school Transition Support Services coordinator serving students with learning disabilities, intellectual & physical disabilities.
- 3 year as Director of special education support services at American School in Rio de Janerio, Brazil
- 4 years as a middle school special education co-teacher and Resource Room teacher.
I support most of the counties in northern Virginia, suburban Maryland, and Washington D.C. Please contact me here to inquire about your particular school system.
As with any service, the fees can range depending on the time required for your case. That said, my lowest fee is $100 per hour.
Although I have experienced hundreds of cases, each and every case is often unique and can present its own challenges. These cases can range from a simple 1 - 2 hour consultation to 20 hours or more of detailed research, report preparation and writing, and highly engaged dialogue with the school system.
No. I am a Special Education Advocate. While I can help you navigate the extremely complex special education environment, my advice in no way can be construed as legal advice. I cannot represent you or your child as legal counsel in a lawsuit or federal court.
Yes. I am happy to provide some recommendations for lawyers who specialize in special education needs.
I guarantee that no one else will care as much for your child's educational needs as I will, except of course for you. I will use the 34 years of special education experience, caring, and relationships in the area to get the appropriate education for your child. That being said, I cannot guarantee that your case will end up with the result you desire.
In order to provide the highest value for you and your child, it is important that we have a signed agreement before I handle your case. That will allow me to best represent you, have access to the necessary records, and give your child the maximum advantage in northern Virginia.
What our customers are saying...
This product really helped me. More than words could possibly explain. Like, a lot.
Before finding this product, I used to cry myself to sleep every night.
This product is the best thing since sliced bread. Great job!
Frequently Asked Questions
Give the demo a test drive!
Not ready to take the plunge? Try our free demo...